There’s a club if you’d like to go

So… its week three, and all I can say is that I’m full of empathy for the Microbe. It’s a tough enough business starting school without the added handicap of being the only child in your class without a ready-made clique of friends from your previous nursery.

It’s impossible to tell how the boybot is getting on – school being the black box that it is. He seems cheerful every day when I pick him up but I get the impression that he has good days and bad days when it comes to making new friends. Some days he’s full of the joys of the new BFFs that he’s made – and other days he reports with a matter-of-fact shrug that they only wanted to play with their old friends that day. Having seen for myself what an inseparable huddle James’s little gang of nursery pals was, I can well imagine how tough it would have been for a new boy to break in, so I guess it’s just going to take some time.

I can’t say it’s any easier for the parents.*Shudder* I feel entirely as if it’s my first month at school too. All of those clichés about the school gates are clichés for a reason. It probably doesn’t help that I don’t speak pilates. Still, onwards and upwards eh? (Oh god, I’m probably going to have to bite the bullet and volunteer for something).

In other news, I have new baskets! In fact I have progressed beyond mere baskets into the realm of basket-related furniture! There is no cure…

I’m quite pleased with this one for the microbe’s room. We’ve installed his bookcase on top of it, creating a sort of mini-dresser-looking thing, which has created a surface for his keyboard to live on – and now I have more places to hide tiny shoes and hats and heinous quantities of playdoh. (Yes, there are satellite baskets. What of it?)

IMG_2698

I also got one for the bathroom, which is doing a fine job of hiding large quantities of nappies and related paraphernalia and has also left room for a linen basket and a little slot for stashing the changing mat. (See how I sneaked in another basket there?)

IMG_2704_edited-1

This unit sparked a discussion between G and me as to whether we ought to get rid of the pile of books that have accumulated in the bathroom, especially after I saw a thread on Mumsnet by someone who was seriously grossed out by books in bathrooms.

Having never given it any thought until now, it’s definitely one of those things that seems like less of a good idea the more you think of it. You’d certainly never choose a steamy room for book storage, would you?

I did a time-wasting poll on Livejournal and got varying responses. Of the 110 people who responded to my poll, 77% had no problem with bathroom books. In fact some went so far as to disapprove of bathrooms without books. The remaining 23% were in the anti-bathroom book camp, to varying degrees, on the basis of dampness/cruelty to books and/or hygiene fears.  They probably have a point.

In any case, I think it’s time to cull our pile. I just wish I knew how to stop the buggers from breeding in there.

 

Advertisements

About Susan Flockhart

Bonsai lady-geek and blogger. I can hardly recall what I used to blog about pre-microbes, but these days I generally ramble about motherhood, nonsense and whatever's going on the world of tiny people
This entry was posted in Life of James, Motherhood. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s